9 Aug 2012

a wholesome banana bread, revisited

 
I originally posted this recipe about four years ago. It was one of my first baking inventions... I recently dug it up again as a bunch of over-ripe bananas beckoned it. Such a satisfying, wholesome banana bread.  As I prepared it I reminisced for those days four and a bit years ago when I still lived at "home" and my grandma did too... I miss her face so much. 

From 29/05/2008:

For the lovely Lizzie and most beautiful Plume - here's the recipe for my "hardcore" banana bread... and due to its deliciousness it gets made at least fortnightly around here (in a house of 7 often 8 people it doesn't last long). Now I call it "hardcore" because its got lots of fibre and no butter or sugar - don't despair - I'm not a health-nut I just think the natural sweetness of banana is lost when you add too much sugar or butter. And honey is a much softer and warmer sweet alternative to refined sugar! Using olive oil (walnut or sunflower) keeps it really moist and ends up tasting wonderful. I like to scatter 1/2 of rolled oats on the top of the loaf before it goes into the oven so that it gives it a nice wholesome top...

1 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (or oat-bran if you prefer)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
1 cup mashed banana (super ripe)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup rolled oats for scattering **try flaked almonds and sunflower seeds as well**

Combine flour, coconut, baking powder, soda and walnuts in a bowl - mix together. In a separate bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add honey, olive oil and vanilla and beat till combined. Add mashed banana and beat. Then slowly fold in the flour mixture being careful not to over-stir! Pour into a greased, lined and floured loaf tin - scatter oats on the top and bake in a moderate oven (175'c) for about 50mins-1hr (everyone's ovens are different so I suggest checking it after about 45minutes). You'll know its done when the top is golden and coming away from the tin and when "carefully" skewered it comes out clean

And Voila! There you have the most tasty and wholesome banana bread;
(which my Granny *and now I* spread butter on - so no need to be too righteous!)

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely scrumptious looking...you set the bar. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you always seem to be cooking the most delicious things! I just had homemade pizza and anzac biscuits. Sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have bananas, we have honey. I must make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.